Thursday, December 1, 2022

2022 December - The 12 Days of Christmas



As is often the case, math turns out not to be a writer's strong suit. That's because words are (or should be) a writer's forte. 

So, just for fun, I'm deviating from a writing topic to boggle your mind with this question:

Just how many gifts did "My True Love" give? 

Or sate your curiosity with this question:

How much did all the gifts cost, either individually or as a total. 

Being a writer, you could use either question as a writing prompt by taking one POV-Viewpoint (i.e., be the giver or the receiver or the person fulfilling the order, etc). If you come up with something under 200 words, feel free to share it in the comments section below. Write short in any genre or in any style. See where your imagination leads you.

However, if you just want the facts, the mathematical input and total, go to

https://www.houseofmaths.co.uk/2016/12/how-many-gifts-in-total-in-the-twelve-days-of-christmas/

or 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/17/economy/12-days-christmas-cpi-inflation

In any event, I wish you all the Happiest of Holidays!

Catherine E. McLean

# # # 

2 comments:

Janet said...

I calculated how many gifts, checked my math multiple times, and got 364 each time. Then i checked the website. It said there were 365. I don't know where they got the extra one. Oh, well. I had fun making the calculations. Happy Holidays!

Catherine said...

Regardless of the count, I'm glad you have fun with this little exercise! Happy Holidays to you, Janet.